Mmmmmuzik: Lana Del Rey x Notorious B.I.G. – Born Ready to Die
So I haven’t posted much about music on my blog so far, which is strange since music is a huge part of my life. I had been going through a musical drought, where my iPod was craving new music but I hadn’t found anything that really jumped out at me since G.O.O.D. Music’s ‘Cruel Summer’ album release. I’m part of the Tumblr blogging realm as well and I found out about this mixtape and had to download it: I am the biggest Lana fan and I’m a Biggie girl to the very end! I’m also a total sucker for awesome mash-ups.
I absolutely love this album. A mix of one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time with one of today’s most talented and creative female artists — bellissimo!
Since it’s a mixtape, I downloaded it from Pretty Much Amazing here. (For those who don’t know what Pretty Much Amazing is — I didn’t before today, so no worries — it is an awesome, awesome, awesome music blog.) The mixtape was produced by Terry Urban (New York-grown DJ and mixtape deity) on the 15th anniversary of Notorious B.I.G.’s death back in March of 2012. (I am VERY ashamed that I have only downloaded it now…seven months later is just not acceptable.)
The track list is pretty solid, ch-ch-ch-ch-check it out:
- Notorious Origin (Prod. by MikeKUZ)
- Suicidal Axl (Prod by David E Beats)
- Juicy Lolita (Prod. by Gods Paparazzi)
- Lucky Struggle (Prod. by Double O)
- FTW (Prod. by Terry Urban)
- Everything I Want (Prod. by Rothschild)
- Changed Ways (Prod. by Makeshift)
- Money Is The Anthem (Prod. by nVMe)
- You’re No Good For Me (Prod. by Soulklap)
- No Chance Without Me (Prod. by 6th Sense)
- Crack Paradise (Prod. by Judah)
- Unbelievable Man (Prod. by Soulklap)
- Wit or Witoutcha (Prod. by P-Sol & Predakon)
- Hypnotizing Summer (Prod. by CJ Luzi)
- Wrong Game (Prod. by nVMe)
- Dead End (Prod. by Buyanovksy)
I absolutely despise picking favourite tracks off solid albums like this one, but if I had to choose my Top Three, they would have to be Juicy Lolita, FTW, and Dead End. (I might update this post later with my new favourites, because sometimes they change over time…I’m a fickle pickle!)
This album is perfection when you’re cleaning your bathroom, cruising in your car or working out in the gym — versatility like that is rare these days!
Important Disclaimer: This is not a clean album, so I don’t recommend playing it when your grandparents visit for dinner.
Let me know what you think of it. I hope you enjoy it as much as me, but I have very eclectic musical tastes, so who knows!