Happy Last 8.5 Days of Life on Earth! To commemorate this last week of life on Earth, I have compiled a list of songs about the end of the world. (Disclaimer: These are my choice of songs from my beautiful mind…no copykitty here.)
(I am being highly sarcastic — perhaps facetious for the “believers” — if you can’t tell. Four apocalypses (Apocalypi?) were supposed to happen within the last two years…what makes this one different? Those poor Mayans just forgot to stock up on stationary, cut them some slack. They didn’t have a Staples in every plaza.)
1. Till The World Ends – Britney Spears (2011)
Obviously the first track on the hypothetical playlist.
2. The End – The Doors (1967)
From that beautiful film, Apocalypse Now that I have been forced to watch several times by my dad and several university professors.
3. Blue Jeans – Lana Del Rey (2011)
I couldn’t decide between this one and Born to Die. This seemed more relevant somehow.
4. Until The End Of Time – Justin Timberlake Feat. Beyonce (2006)
Again, hard decision. I almost went with ‘What Goes Around…Comes Around’ for the karma theme, what with humans destroying the planet and whatnot.
5. I Was Here – Beyonce (2012)
Appropriate whence we reach the emotional phase of the apocalypse.
6. We Will Become Silhouettes – The Postal Service (2005)
Always gotta show love for this album!
7. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together – Taylor Swift (2012)
Who doesn’t feel like clawing some eyes out when listening to this song? But isn’t it relevant…technically? A good tune when the panic and delirium set in.
8. I Will Follow You Into The Dark – Death Cab for Cutie (2005)
I obviously delved into my teen angsty days of Ben Gibbard. Soul Meets Body was a close contender.
9. 2012 (It Ain’t The End) – Jay Sean Feat. Nicki Minaj (2010)
I despise this song, but it’s about partying until death, so let’s do it!
10. The Final Countdown – Europe (1986)
I’ve wanted this to play at some significant point of my life at least once and my wedding and graduation seemed insignificant, but this…THIS is gold.
Honourable mention: Rapture – Blondie (1981)
For an extensive, (less fun) and more hardcore list of apocalyptic songs, visit my gal, Miss Wiki.
See you on Pluto with some snacks!