Meatloaf muffins: blueberry muffin’s distant cousin. Kind of. Sorta. Not really.
I remember telling my roommates back in university that making meatloaf muffins was the best thing in the entire universe! A serving you can bring anywhere! Perfection. Who could ask for more?!
They were thoroughly disgusted.
Little did they know, I make the best meatloaf in town. (Thanks to my Mom’s stellar recipe, which is actually my Grandma’s.)
Now that I’m eating clean — no dairy, wheat or sugar — and ramping up my protein intake, I need small, protein-loaded snacks that I can eat (with ease!) I don’t want to be breaking out a knife and fork every time I need to eat some protein. I need one-handed snacks!
So I Googled turkey meatloaf muffins and Jamie Eason’s recipe was the first on the list. I had to trust it — a fitness competitor who eats clean…of course I’m going to check it out! I think she’s starting to become my new role model.
- 2 lbs ground turkey (or chicken)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dry yellow mustard
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp chipotle pepper spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp garlic powder (2 cloves minced)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (finely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray muffin pan with canola or olive oil.
- Mix all your ingredients together in one large bowl.
- Roll the mixture into balls and place in muffin pan. Muffins should be about the size of a racquetball.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins.