I am, I really really am.
Since she first graced my little laptop screen, Shoshanna Shapiro was my favourite Girl on HBO’s to-be-cult show Girls. Everyone on the show is my favourite – except Hannah, ugh — but Shoshanna is just the perfect embodiment of all the inner workings that don’t always show.
(*WARNING: SOME SEASON 2 SPOILERS*)
- All those weirdo times you have when you’re alone and nobody is watching — like air DJing on your stove — except she does it at a crowded house party;
- All those times you are scorned by a guy/girl, but want to “stay strong” and defiant, so you think of all those things you want to say to that guy/girl. Well, she actually says them.
- “You may have hurt my feelings, but I have my big girl pants on.” – Favourite line of season 2, hands down.
- Insecurity but security at the same time. Like when she had her outburst about being deflowered but not devalued. You go, girl!
- MASS HYSTERIA. INNER TURMOIL ABOUT ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AND ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.
- Cultish obsessions with popular culture. (Maybe this is just a quality I have.) Naaaah, I’m pretty sure these obsessions with popular culture is the reason why the Kardashians are still bathing in molten gold.
- Being kind of a “feminist.” But like, not, like, fully. You know?
- Wanting to be likeable and friends with everyone. Especially a cool British cousin or a svelte art gallery gal. But not caring if you have a small group of friends. (Does that make sense?)
- LIKING GUYS AND NOT KNOWING HOW TO DEAL WITH THAT. OR WHAT TO DO. BEING HYSTERICAL ABOUT IT. COMPARING IT TO EVERY ROM-COM, CHICK FLICK TV SHOW AND MOVIE.
- But being adorable and cute and the girl-next-door, so you attract a certain kind of guy. Hopefully, the good kind. Because you’re a good person.
And those are some of the reasons why I am (the blonde version of) Shoshanna Shapiro.
Mass hysteria and inner turmoil brought to you by the Caps Lock button.